Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - Roast Chicken Gravy

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1

Just a little information I thought I'd share....

The other week I was making roast lamb and roast chicken for Sunday dinner and wanted to make it a little special. To spice up the chicken I added a few cloves of garlic, a vegetable stock cube and about 1-2 tsp of ground fennel seeds !. This was cooked in and on the chicken while roasting and then the gravy made from the juices in the roasting pan. I then added a little more fresh fennel and a good splash of white wine... made a very tasty and different gravy.

(the lamb?.. well that was a whole different story involving browning, slow boiling, re-roasting and a generous splash of port)...

Mamta, on 22/11/2006 08:05am

Both sound tasty. Though I don't eat the meat anymore, I still remember the taste!

Mamta

Askcy, on 22/11/2006 05:34pm

fennel is supposed to work well with fish if you eat that (not tried it myself as I love fish simply steamed, but I may spice it up one day)

AskCy, on 23/11/2006 05:03pm

oh by the way, if anyone likes a certain high street chicken chain's gravy you might want to give the recipe above a try !

Phil, on 30/11/2006 01:09am

Hi Steven,

Fresh fennel grows wild back in our home in the South of France, but we've oddly not used it with fish.

I take your point about simple grilling of fish (I agree), but we have a lovely Madhur Jaffrey fish dish with a sauce which has fennel SEEDS in it: it's yummy!

Phil

Mamta, on 30/11/2006 07:08am

Hello Phil

If you have fennel growing wild around your place, experiment with it. It is delicious added to many dry (without gravy) vegetable dishes, specially stuffed vegetables. It is also good in some sweets, like rice pudding, because of it's sweet flavour. If you soak/boil it in water, the water is very good for indigestion, specially flatulence, created by eating beans/lentils. Some whole lentils, like black Gram (Urad/Urid), are traditionally cooked in Northern India with fennel seeds added to it. It also can be chewed as a mouth freshener and digestive aid.

Mamta

Page: 1

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com