Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - Potato Pooris

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1

Hello everyone, I love this site. Just coming here makes my mouth water, even if I have just eaten!

I want to pick the brains of more experienced cooks. I make a potato poori from a Madhur Jaffrey book. You knead flour with cooked potato and spices, and roll it out flat, to be fried in deep oil until it puffs up.

I love to smear them with dal, or raita, or any left-over sauce.

Very tasty! But you know when you're eating it that it's a bit naughty, calories-wise...

So I wondered... is there a healthier way of doing it? Once I've rolled out the poori, could I perhaps brush it with oil and do it on a griddle? Or bake it in the oven?

I am after the lovely fluffy puffed-up-ness still, but without the oil intake. So is there a way, or am I condemned (horrible fate as that it is) to eat the full-fat version?

Thank you again for the great site and hope you can help on this one.

James

Mamta, on 21/11/2006 08:18pm

Poories are no possible to make without deep frying. However, you can make pan fried parathas with very little oil. They will not be as crisp as poories but still very nice.

You reminded me of the lovely potato poories we used to have at our boarding school in India every Sunday, for breakfast. They were served with hot, milky tea and were delicious :-)! I still remember the taste, half a century later!

I must make them one of these days, fat or no fat! Mamta

AskCy, on 21/11/2006 10:01pm

Could you not make them slightly undercooked, drain and leave to stand on kitchen paper, then finish the cooking proccess on a baking sheet in the oven? (might not be exactly the same but if you are looking for calorific sacrifices you might be able to adapt)

Steve

James, on 21/11/2006 10:51pm

Some good ideas there. I may have to experiment over the weekend and prepare something on a hot pan, like a paratha as Mamta says.

The taste of them is really delicious and I would urge you to make them. You know they are bad, but something about them makes you keep eating. The texture is simply wonderful.

If I get around to it and enjoy good results, I will post here so that others can try.

Best wishes

James

AskCy, on 21/11/2006 11:06pm

Good luck and be sure to let us know how things turn out...

If you have camera maybe take some pictures for us to see the results...

Steve

Mamta, on 22/11/2006 08:12am

Hello James

I don't have Madhur's recipe book, so don't know what you add to your dough. Madhur's way is obviously an easier way, which I often use with left over dals etc. (making dough in the dals and spicing it a bit) but I will urge you to try with the filling, as opposed to adding it to the dough.

If I made them, I will make them with plain dough containing only carom seeds and a little oil, with a filling/stuffing containing mashed potatoes, spices, chopped and lightly fried onion/ginger (not garlic), green chillies, green coriander leaves etc. That is how they were made at my school and that is how I have eaten them in Indian homes.

At present, I have too many things waiting to try. If you try them with stuffing, take a picture and send it to me via the contact link.

best wishes.

Mamta

Page: 1

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com