Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - Indian cookery ingredients and equipment as Xmas gifts?

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1

Hi Folks

Some of you may recall that we recently established a relationship with Spices of India which we launched with a competition for a wonderful basket of spices.

Please do click here to find out more about Spices of India and our thoughts on them.

They stock many items that would make great christmas presents for foodies or for yourself and their final shipping date to ensure orders arrive with you before christmas is the 18th December.

Please visit the site using this link.

Many thanks

Kavita

Pebs, on 18/11/2006 07:55am

What a great idea! I will jut do that. They (spices) are very useful and look good, specially in those steel container! I might add an Indian cookery book to it, any suggestions?

Pebs

Julie, on 18/11/2006 05:49pm

50 Great Curries of India (Paperback) by Camellia Panjabi is good, quite reasonable at £7.19 from Amazon. You could always give them spices collection and point them to this site, which is free :-)!

Julie

Kavey, on 18/11/2006 09:58pm

Pebs, I'm afraid I don't really know Indian cookery books as I've got mum (Mamta) to ask for recipes and tips!

But if you want to keep prices down you're welcome to use the printer-friendly links on each recipe page and print out a selection of recipes from this site to go with the ingredients you buy - if you decide to reformat them just please make sure you include the author name and that they are (c) to Mamta's Kitchen!

Mamta, on 19/11/2006 08:17am

Giving someone who loves cooking Indian food, a selection of spices is a great idea. You could buy individual packets and divide them into several containers; specially designed making many gifts at a reasonable price. I will suggest that you get 2 spice boxes for each person, one for whole spices and one for ground spices.

For selection of spices, see Ingredients list on the roll down menu under ‘Advice’. My choice for a beginner will be as follows:

Whole spices:

Cumin Seeds (Jeera Sabut)

Black mustard seeds (Rai)

Cloves (Laung or Lavang or Long)*

Peppercorns (Kali Mirch Sabut)*

Cinnamon sticks (Dalchini)*

Black Cardamoms (Badi Illaichi or Kali Illaichi)*

Bay Leaf (Tej-patta)*

Ground Spices:

Coriander powder (Dhania Pisa)

Turmeric Powder(Haldi Pisi)

Chilli powder (Lal Mirch Pisi)

Ground Cumin (Pisa Jeera)

Sweet paprika powder (Shimla Mirch) This is used for giving colour to curries, without making them too hot.

Dry Mango Powder(Amchoor)

Garam Masala

*Ingredients for Garam Masala

Mamta

AskCy, on 20/11/2006 07:35pm

nice ideas... would come in handy by day three of Christmas when you've had turkey, turkey soup, turkey sandwiches etc...

Page: 1

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com