Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - sago

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1 2 3

ambrosia sago pudding I have tried to get it for about two years with no luck not back on the shelf

Mamta, on 29/3/2011 08:29am

Jan, I am sure I saw some recently, might have been Sainsbury's, not sure. Scratching head!

seekr, on 12/4/2011 08:42pm

Tapioca and sago are completely different plants. Sago is probably more toxic in its natural state. Since Sago plants have caused a lot of animal deaths in the U.S.A. this has probably not helped sales.

Cycads may leave small amounts of toxin in the flour, thus supermarkets may be playing safe.

seekr

Askcy, on 29/4/2011 01:51pm

out of interest.. just been in the local supermarket and spotted these on the shelves

tapicoa etc

Steve

Irene Watts, on 1/12/2011 07:26pm

Have searched all Supermarkets looking for Sago Pudding. Loved it and wanted to let my Grandchildren experience what I did as a child. Does this mean that it will never be on sale again? It would be such a shame if this was so.

Sid, on 2/12/2011 09:55am

My mum bought a bag of it from a local international food store a few months ago. But knowing our local international food store, it was probably bagged and on the shelf a couple of years before the tsunami took place.

Sid

Mamta, on 2/12/2011 11:58am

You can buy packets of tapioca (very similar, almost identical) from most Indian grocers or on libe; http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Indian-Food-TRS-Tapioca.html#aRFG009_2dp and then cook the pudding yourself. Sago/tapioca is cooked in many forms, mostly savoury, by Indians. You will find a couple of recipes here too.

croutz2403, on 9/2/2012 07:27pm

finally tesco are stocking it again,im making "mango sago polemo"

Tilly, on 2/3/2012 08:11pm

Is the Sabooda tinned that is sold in Indian shops?

Mamta, on 2/3/2012 08:26pm

No, it is dry.

Kaye, on 4/5/2012 03:33am

I am having the same trouble here in Australia trying to buy sago. Tapioca is readily available but it is NOT sago. I know they are interchangable but sago is much finer. Many shop assistants here have not heard of it either.

James, on 14/5/2012 04:45pm

Sago and tapioca may be interchangeable when used in cooking recipes but they are certainly not the same when made into a milk pudding. We often make a sago pudding when in the Faroe Islands, delicious sprinkled with a sugar/cinnamon mix. I shall have to remmember to bring some back this summer.

Mamta, on 31/1/2017 09:02pm

Look here; https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sago&client=tablet-android-google&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwixzqDIo-3RAhWQDBoKHQ2lBuwQ_AUIBygB&biw=600&bih=960&dpr=2

Page: 1 2 3

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com