Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - VEGETABLE INSPIRATION NEEDED

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1

I am embarking on a challenge to persuade my veg-phobic seven year old son to enjoy vegetables...and Im blogging the whole culinary adventure. I would love you to read my blog and offer any comments there, ideas, inspiration, recipes.

If you have time please do logon to the blog...

http://greatbigvegchallenge.blogspot.com/

Thank you

Charlotte

TheGreatBigVegChallenge

Kavey, on 13/11/2006 01:08pm

Good luck, Charlotte.

You'll certainly find a huge number of varied vegetarian recipes here on our site. If you have any questions about any of them, please do come back and post here in the forums and we'll do our best to help you.

Kavita (administrator)

Mamta, on 15/11/2006 04:26am

I have already replied to this question on your website. I have to say that aubergines is not one of the easiest vegetable to make children eat vegetables!

Try following:

Aubergine Bharta or bhurta/bharta as it is called in India, is very nice. You can make it without chillies and garam masala.

Aubergine Pasta

Fried Aubergine Slices. Can even be made into sandwiches.

Also, take a look at Baby foods and how to feed children.

If cooking Indian food, use low spices and no chillies. Disguising vegetables will not make them eat all vegetables when they eat at school or elsewhere. Also, they need to learn to like the vegetables.

This is not a criticism because I think you are right in trying to encourage him to learn to eat vegetables. However, just bear in mind that he might be enjoying all the attention he is getting at meal times in trying to get him to eat the vegetables and loving it :-)!

In my humble opinion, it is better to give them small amounts of all vegetables persistently, praising/rewarding, when he has eaten it and withdrawing small privileges when he doesn’t. Try not to get involved in long discussions with him, he will always win!

Mamta

AskCy, on 15/11/2006 04:37pm

I made red peppers stuffed with rice,onion,peas and spiced with garlic, cinnamon and tomato purée then roasted in the oven, my daughter keeps asking for it again (although she is a little older)

GreatBigVegChall, on 1/12/2006 10:22am

Following on from the great success of the aubergine recipes the GreatBigVegChallenge continues...Now its B for Broccoli.

Any good ideas to give Broccoli red carpet treatment.

Do pop and read our blog if you have time!

http://greatbigvegchallenge.blogspot.com

AskCy, on 1/12/2006 04:51pm

I love the stuff just steamed,..

Mamta, on 1/12/2006 04:58pm

Try

Broccoli Soup

Stir-fried Broccoli Tops

Broccoli Do-Pyaza

You can also make broccoli . See; Pakoras/Bhajia/Fritters

I hope I have got the links right!

Mamta

AskCy, on 1/12/2006 07:49pm

Just thought, ....

You can make soup with broccoli and cheese (usually a blue cheese) and you have Cauliflower cheese (a dish I love).. I can't see any reason why you can't have broccoli cheese -

steam the broccoli, put in a large dish (leaving it slightly firm)

Make a cheese sauce pour over and add sprinkles of cheese (and I like to add a topping of freshly made bread crumbs).. put in oven and bake until golden..

Page: 1

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com