Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - What\'s Pumpkin called in Hindi?

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1 2

Pumpkin is a fruit, technically speaking, just like a few other things we call vegetables.

Rajneesh, on 10/10/2012 02:37pm

Yes true pumpkin is a fruit, there is some confusion demarcating fruits and veggies....a fruit is what is developed by the ovary and has seeds, that makes tomatoes, cucumber, "karela", lady finger etc fruits as well.

Askcy, on 10/10/2012 06:03pm

oh yes the joys of language and classification

Tomato - fruit

Strawberry - not as the name might suggest a berry, in technical terms, an aggregate accessory fruit

Peanut - again not as the name might suggest isn't a nut, its a legume (bean)

Peas - slightly odd as if in the pod its a fruit, but the peas are actually the seeds.

chickpeas - aren't peas, they are beans (legumes) and high in protein

and don't ask what bananas are !

Steve

phil, on 2/6/2013 05:28pm

Well, I think it doesn't really matter to most of us what the 'proper' scientific terms are: for me, tomatoes are veg, cos I put them in salad.

And pumpkins are veg too, for me. We do a fab pumpkin and cheese gratin, and spicy pumpkin soup is good too. I've no idea what a 'fruit' soup would be.

Phil

Kiran Kumari, on 21/2/2014 01:08am

Pumpkin and bottle gourd(lauki or Kaddu) are two different vegetables.Pumpkin is commonly called as Kumhra in North India.

Rajneesh, on 23/2/2014 06:40pm

KADDU !!!!! :D

mrinalini, on 31/10/2015 10:36pm

Pumpkin is also known as Kashi Phal in Northern India, both in Hindi and Urdu. It is also made into a delicious halwa known as Kashi Hlwa.

Mamta, on 1/11/2015 06:39am

Indeed Mrinalini (what a beautiful name!).

Pumpkin Halva is very nice. Pumpkin Soup is also very tasty and nice for a cold day.

Rashme, on 2/12/2018 07:37pm

Thankyou mamta aunty.

Aap 'rastogi' ho kya?

Rashme, on 2/12/2018 07:37pm

Thankyou mamta aunty.

Aap 'rastogi' ho kya?

Mamta, on 2/12/2018 08:22pm

You are welcome Rashmi and no, I am not Rastogi 🙂

Mamta

Page: 1 2

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com