Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - Slow Cooker

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1

Thanks Mamta for sharing all your excellent recipes. I have tried quite a few and they have always been very good.

I was wondering if you (or anyone else) had adapted any of your recipes for use in the slow cooker?

I work part time and have a husband and young child and would love to be able to have a nice meal ready made for when we get home with minimum effort!

AskCy, on 15/9/2006 06:27pm

I've never used (or even seen?) a slow cooker but...

If I was making something like a normal curry I'd cook the onions up in a frying pan, brown the meat and then add the spices, give it a few minutes and then put the whole lot in the slow cooker.... allow it to cool while adding the water and other ingredients ... let that cook out slowly on the timer...

maybe someone has actually used a slow cooker for a curry and can give better help...

(When you think about it, most recipes are designed to be done fast... who would want to spend 4 hours over an oven/fire/bbq when its 40 deg in the shade...)

Mamta, on 16/9/2006 04:47am

Hello Sadia

I don't personally use slow-cooker/crock-pot anymore but I did have one a very long time ago. It was good for making curries, dals and beans (except kidney beans), but as I did not use it enough, I got rid of it.

I guess, you could cook anything in it that has some gravy/liquid. For meat; 1. you could put all the ingredients in the cooker pot together, including meat, without a need to fry them, and switch it on. This gives pretty reasonable results, I have tried this method on gas cooker. 2. You could add all the ingredients to raw meat in the evening and leave it to marinate in the fridge overnight. It is specially good for meats that require longer cooking, cheaper cuts of meat. 3. Alternatively, cook up to the stage where you add meat to the fried onions/spices/tomatoes etc. the evening before, when you have more time. Leave it in the fridge overnight and put it in the cooker next morning, to cook while you are away. You could do the same for dals and beans (not kidney beans), giving only a ‘tarka’ when you are ready to eat.

You must have a cook book that came with the pot. Try adapting recipes given there to Indian cooking. Perhaps people here will give you some ideas.

Mamta

js4815, on 28/11/2006 06:32am

use one all the time, very good for cheaper meats, stews etc, tried making a mango and apple chutney today,seems to come out ok, didn't quite know what to expect, but had some mangoes given to me in various stages of ripeness,so picked on a recipe and where it said to simmer,just slow cooked it, left it on for about 4 hours,could have left it longer, but what the hell,4 hours seemed long enough, mango and apple still in chunky pieces,not mush as would have been the case if I would have cooked it in a saucepan as the recip called for, so try any thing, it'll work, doesn't need supervision,knows the way home by it's self

Page: 1

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com