Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - good chicken korma i found

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1

Hi, i came across this chicken korma recipe that is really nice! (and quite easy to do) i have tinkered with it a little and it still tastes good : )

(i noticed there wasnt a korma recipe (perhaps it was called something else if there is one? sorry if this is the case!)on this website so went on a hunt and found this one, and just wanted to share it with everyone)

Chicken Korma

Serves:

Preparation Time:

15-minutes, plus time to marinade.

Cooking Time:

1-hour.

Ingredients:

1.5kg/2.5lbs chicken breasts or chicken joints, skinned and washed

1-inch cube of root-ginger, finely grated

150g/6oz thick natural set yogurt

1-medium onion, coarsely chopped

2-3 dried red chillies

3-4 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped

6 tbsps cooking oil

450g/1lb onions, finely sliced

1 tbsp ground coriander

¼ tsp powdered black pepper

1 tsp garam masala

1 tsp ground turmeric

225ml/8fl oz warm water

75g/3oz creamed coconut

½ tsp salt

2 heaped tbsps ground almonds

2 tbsps finely chopped coriander leaves Buy...

Juice of ½ a lemon

Instructions:

1. Cut chicken breasts into 1½ inch chunks or, if using joints, separate leg from thigh.

2. Mix the chicken with the ginger and yogurt and cover and leave to marinade for 3-4 hours or in the fridge overnight.

3. Put the chopped onion, red chillies and garlic into a food processor or liquidiser and liquidise to a smooth paste. If the mix is too dry add a little water.

4. In a wok or large cast-iron pot, heat 4 tbsps of the oil over medium heat and fry the sliced onions until they are golden-brown. Remove the pan from the heat and, using a slotted spoon, transfer the onions to a bowl for use later. Leave any remaining oil in the pan.

5. Add the remaining 2 tbsps of oil to the pan over medium heat.

6. When hot, add the ground coriander, garam masala and turmeric stirring rapidly for about 1-minute (take pan off the heat if the oil is too hot).

7. Adjust the heat to medium and add the chicken along with the marinade. Stir fry for about 10-minutes.

8. Add the liquidised spices and continue to stir-fry for about 8-minutes.

9. Add the water and slice the creamed coconut into the pan. Bring to the boil stirring until the coconut is dissolved.

10. Add the fried onions and salt.

11. Reduce heat to low, cover the pan and simmer until the chicken is tender (30-40 minutes).

12. Remove from heat, sprinkle on the ground almonds, chopped coriander leaves and lemon juice and mix well.

Serving ideas: Serve with Pilau Rice and Onion Bhaji.

Suitable for freezing.

(from www.spicesofindia.co.uk)

My notes!

-I used almost a whole 500g tub of greek yoghurt, this made the curry really creamy

- i added dessicated coconut to make the curry even more 'coconutty'

- i have also added 3-4 small green cardomoms, trying it with them being whole and crushed open and slightly grinded, all work well

- i have also added cumin seeds

- I use 2 50g sachets of coconut, because i like my korma to be very coconutty

- instead of using dried chilli, i use half of a small-medium red chilli and chop roughly before adding to the mixer

Hope this makes some folks happy! : )

- Louise

AskCy, on 8/9/2006 09:15pm

I believe there may be a problem with posting a recipe from another website (copyright), thanks for sharing, but it must be your own recipe.

Kavey, on 9/9/2006 12:40am

Louise

Unfortunately, yes, if the recipe above is pretty much a copy of a recipe you found elsewhere then I'm afraid it may well be covered by copyright and owned by the person who originally wrote it.

However, if you've made a few changes to it and the recipe you've provided is your own version, that shouldn't be a problem.

After all, every Indian recipe I've seen in a British celebrity chef's book (seems it's de rigueur to include at least one) is essentially their twist on a traditional Indian one that they must initially have learned from someone else!

Thanks for sharing with us and please do let me know if you feel the recipe is sufficiently edited from the original to be seen as a different version?

Thanks

Kavita (Site Administrator)

Mamta, on 16/9/2006 11:14am

Korma is basically any meat or vegetable curry, with a creamy sauce, which has either thick Greek style yoghurt or sour cream or double cream added to it. So, there are hundreds of recipes, though they may not be specifically called korma. Thanks for the recipe, it sounds tasty.

Mamta

Page: 1

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com