Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - Pani Puri

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1

Hi Mamta,

By the way I tried your green mango chutney and the tamarind chutney and they were both delicious! They were truly authentic and tasted like something I would get from a chatwalla and I also made the papdi chat from your website. I live in San Francisco, CA and I have to drive 40 miles to a suburb to get good chat. I made the chat for the first time for my nephew's birthday and it was a huge a hit!

I have one question for you. I wanted to make pani puri. How can I get the purl or golgappa to puff up? I added a pinch of baking soda, but it still wouldn't puff up. What is the secret to that? I made the dough for the gappa with just fine semolina or rava flour and used maida to roll the dough. The biggest secret it seems is to get the golgappas to puff up. I did roll the dough thinly.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks again for the recepies!

Aliya

Mamta, on 10/4/2006 04:42pm

Hello Aliya

I am glad you have started making chat yourself, most of the things are quite easy.

For Gole gappas to puff up:

1. The dough should rest for a while, before you roll them out.

2. Keep them covered with a moict (tightly wrung) cloth, like a hankie.

3. They should be of even thickness.

All these things help gole-gappas to puff up.

4. Test fry one golegappa first, to make sure that the oil is right temperature. too hot and they will puff up too soon and get soft like poories. Too cold and they will not puff up. I don't know if you have ever made matharies, they are supposed to be fried like matharies, slowly, so they are crisp.

You can make dough with plain flour or maida too, but semolina ones tend to be more tastier.

did you make the Pani (fire water) too?

Good luck

Mamta

Page: 1

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com