Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - make biriyani in a rice cooker

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1

Hi Mamta,

I have tried making biriyani in a pessure cooker and most of the time it kinda gets mushy.. can u tell me how to make your soya biriyani in a rice cooker say for 4 people.. may be u could give me the exact measurement of water if that is where i am goig wrong.....

your biriyani recipe is good.. the taste came out well but it got mushy

regards,

aartee...

Mamta, on 1/4/2006 07:04am

It would be difficult to make biryani in a pressure cooker, without making it too soft. You can make it the same way as in rice cooker and turn it off once the pressure has built (one pressure only). Do not open it until pressure has gone.

To make in a rice cooker, make your masala gravy mix. You could do this in the rice cooker, but it will take longer, because you can not control the heat. I would make it in a pan. Once the gravy is ready, put it in a rice cooker that has been switched on already, add the washed and completely drained (in a sieve or strainer) rice. Stir-fry gently, for a minute or so, until rice is well coated with the masala mix. Now add water; for 1 cup rice, add 1 ½ cup water. Remember, your gravy also has water and counts as part of the water. For example, if you need 1 1/2 cups of water, it should be 1 1/2 cups of water + gravy. Once the rice cooker has cut off, leave it to stand for 10 minutes, before serving.

The amount of rice for 4 people is difficult to predict, depends upon whether you are serving it on it’s own, how hungry people are and so on. I generally make more, say 1 rice cooker cup per person. If there is any left-over, no one minds eating it next day!

When I used to work, I sometimes made Biryani for Christmas ‘work’ lunch. I made the gravy mix at home, took the rice and rice cooker to work and switched it on about1/2 an hour before eating time. It came out very well, the aroma inviting everyone in!!

Yasmin, on 28/10/2006 12:37pm

Your lamb biryani is u\superp, everyoone in my house love it. Thanks

Page: 1

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com