Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - More on Red Pepper

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1

Maybe this will make my question a bit easier to answer.

In the Guardian's article from a while back, How to Make a Great Curry,( which praises Mamtas Kitchen) (https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/oct/31/how-to-make-curry-onion-ginger-garlic-mamta-gupta-back-to-basics-henry-dimbleby) the red peppers are the first ingredient listed in making the paste:

(He credits his inspiration to Madhur Jaffrey’s Indian Cookery book)

2 red peppers, deseeded and roughly chopped

½ red onion, roughly chopped

1 x 2cm cube ginger, chopped

5 garlic cloves, crushed

1 tsp ground coriander

2 tsp ground cumin

½ tsp turmeric

70g flaked almonds

A pinch of cayenne

Optional if you want to make it spicy: dried chilli flakes, red chillies, smoked paprika

But like other curry recipes i read it does not say what type of red peppers. I am assuming either cayenne and fresno. But identifying this mysterious "red pepper" that comes up, at least for me, frequently is elusive.

Mamta, on 17/7/2020 04:58pm

Hello Grazer

I must be one of the few people in the world who do not posses a Madhur Jaffrey cook book, excellent though they are.

I am not sure what particular dish she is making here, but I am sure she does not use two red peppers in each of her curries. But I can see the sense of it. It will give the curry an intense, red colour naturally, and perhaps some sweetness as well.

Mamta

Helen Bach, on 17/7/2020 11:47pm

The recipe is called "Simple chicken and red pepper curry". I'm not sure it is a Madhur Jaffrey dish, just used as a starting point (and has gone down hill from there, IMHO). The red pepper referred to is the capsicum, or bell pepper in US parlance. Chillies are optional (further down the list of ingredients).

I have seen the word 'curry' on menus in India, as 'Curry rice', but I think it was for the tourists! HTH

Mamta, on 18/7/2020 11:12am

"I have seen the word 'curry' on menus in India, as 'Curry rice', but I think it was for the tourists! HTH"

You are right I am sue. the word 'curry' is catching on in general use these days :)!

Mamta

PS

In UK, anything with Indian spices or even a hint of Indian twist can be called a curry by some restaurants/takeaways.

Helen Bach, on 20/7/2020 12:49pm

not only applies to India, had 'Moroccan chicken' in a UK pub, once. It comprised a fried leg of chicken with some whole spices sprinkled on top, with chips and pitta bread, which became oily from the chicken. My partner told them to take the pitta bread off! They couldn't even spell Moroccan!

Mamta, on 20/7/2020 07:31pm

That is so sad Helen, one sure way to stop a customer ever returning!

Mamta

Helen Bach, on 22/7/2020 01:54pm

Sure is. In a fish restaurant on Ireland's west coast, I saw 'Tandoori fish' on the menu. I had to go for this. Was shocked when it came: pan fried fish (rather good, as it turned out) but the "tandoori" bit was a small dish of plain yoghurt in which there was a little whole spice, mostly Dhania seeds, uncooked. I was so disappointed, I asked the waitress for pencil and paper. I wrote out a recipe for tandoori marinade and plain boiled rice, as the offering was swimming in water! I told the waitress to give the recipe to the chef! Never went back!

Mamta, on 22/7/2020 04:01pm

I tell you!! Mind boggles!

And, tandoori fish is easier to make than frying it.

Mamta

Page: 1

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com