Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - Quince

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1

As there seems to be a good supply of Quince this year (UK) I wondered if anybody coulds suggest recipes in which to use them both savoury and/or sweet?

Mamta, on 15/10/2019 07:02am

Hello there

I haven't used Quinces much, no trees around me! The recipe links I give here are for apples, but I am sure will work for Quinces too.

The first few things that spring to mind are;

Quince Jelly

Quince Jelly with Chillies

Quince Jam

Quince Chutney

Crumble

Stewed, with custard or ice cream. Not sure if this will work,

I wonder if you can make a vegetable curry with quince and potatoes, like I do with green tomatoes and potatoes! It is quite tart/sweet.

Recipes for these, using ordinary apples, are on this website, if you want to try any.

Please come back and tell us what you decided to make in the end.

Mamta

When writing on the forum, it is worth signing your name at the bottom of the message. The 'Your name' section doesn't work ofte.

(unknown), on 27/10/2019 02:01pm

Check out this Kashmiri recipe for lamb curry with quince:

https://thekashmirwalla.com/2016/03/five-recipes-from-a-kashmiri-kitchen/

Quince with Lamb (Bammetchoonthh ti Maaz)

"My mum always loved quince. So it was always a happy day when she made the first quince curry of the season. Fresh Quince curried with lamb, with lots of fluffy white rice. In my head that’s the taste of Autumn. And then as the winter set in, dried quince with lamb, or on its own. Beauty itself."

And another Kashmiri recipe, just brinjal with quince:

http://tiffincarrierantiques.blogspot.com/2010/12/kashmiri-bumtchoonth-wangun-quince-with.html

(unknown), on 30/10/2019 09:04pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. I quite like the Beef & Quince recipe. It sounds like my Mother-in-law's Beef & Apple Curry.

Will let you know how I get on!

Martin

(unknown), on 12/12/2019 08:17pm

In the end I made a Quince Ratafia (Shredded Quince, Spices + Brandy). However I used the shredded boozy Quince to make an Apple & Quince Pie. Just Delicious!

Martin

PS I also made a Blackberry & Vanilla Vodka, using the boozy Blackberries to make several Apple & Blackberry Crumbles.

All this work for (hic) Christmas!

Mamta, on 13/12/2019 05:59am

I like the sound of boozy pies and crumbles🙂!

Mamta

Page: 1

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com