Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - How to store chapati so that it remains soft for 7 days

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1 2

Which method is better... to cook and then freeze or freeze uncooked chapatis? which would yield better and softer chapatis when reheated

Mamta, on 31/12/2017 01:39pm

For me, there would be no point to freezing uncooked. You might as well make fresh. Cooked ones need to be cooled and then frozen. If you stack them hot and freeze them, they are likely to stick together.

Marathi Unlimite, on 6/1/2018 05:55am

Hii,

You can Keep in deep freezer.

Monika, on 22/1/2018 09:20am

I am interested in knowing the technique of making and packing of rotis so that they can be used for2-3 days.

Mamta, on 24/1/2018 06:35am

Different people do it differently. You could spread them out on a clean kitchen towel to cool, then stack them in packets of 5-10, placing them in a clean sandwich bag that seals.

Stacking hot chapatties for same day use, when they are not being frozen, is fine. I do it every time I make them. When I was working, I used to have them made for parties sometimes. They were simply stacked and wrapped in foil.

Arshad, on 29/1/2018 03:08pm

Can I jus seal the uncooked parota in a cover food grade and keep them for long time like 6-7 days. Is so please advice how do I do it...

Arshad, on 29/1/2018 03:17pm

Can the parotas be sealed and stored without freezing??? can they be stored in room temp??

Mamta, on 29/1/2018 09:29pm

Hello Arshad

Parathas should be okay at room temperature for a couple of days. They are taken by people in India on long journeys lasting 2-3 days by train/road. At least they were taken, until road side eateries opened up all over India!

They will last in the fridge for 4-5 days, I haven't kept them for longer.

It is simpler to cool them to room temperature and then freeze them. They remain freshest this way. I usually make packs of 3-4-5 for us, depending upon their size and whether they are plain or with a filling. They will last in the freezer for good few months. Pack them in sealed sandwich bags, either plastic or foil. then defrost and heat them, when needed.

Mamta

Arshad, on 30/1/2018 07:06am

So be it roti or parata it can be stored uncooked rite.... I mean not half cooked.. uncooked I'm refering to... uncooked roti or parata..let it dry n pack n can be store for atleast 4-5 days... rite??

Mamta, on 30/1/2018 04:57pm

You did not say uncooked. I never freeze uncooked. Half cooked yes, but uncooked, no. I don't see the point, you might as well make fresh.

However, if you want to freeze uncooked, roll them out one by one and stack them, each one seperated by a grease proof paper square. Then place the stack in a plastic, sealable bag and freeze.

Arshad, on 31/1/2018 02:02am

Ok how long will they stay, this way and will they be fresh after we defrost n cook them...

Mamta, on 31/1/2018 07:49am

The only experience I have of cooking the frozen, uncooked parathas is from when I bought them when I was ill. I put them straight from frozen on to my heated tava (griddle).

I never bought them again, because they were very oily. I don't put oil in my chapatti dough, and did not like them.

Arshad, on 12/2/2018 05:02pm

SO we can half cook them and freeze them, this way they can stay fresh for longer like a month o so, right?

Mamta, on 13/2/2018 08:50am

Yes, nearly as good as fresh.

radhika, on 5/4/2018 11:15am

my daughter stays in hostel, please suggest me to preserve chapattis for a week.they don't have fridgeto store it.she is not happy with the hostelfood.During her visit home she carries chapattis with her.

Mamta, on 5/4/2018 09:19pm

Hostel food can be a problem initially, but one can get used to it. I know, I was in one in Pilani, in high school. Food is of course different than at home, but it is not a good idea to have stale chapatties from home all the time, not good for the digestion.

She has to go out in the big, wide world. Tell her to keep trying the hostel food, she will get used to it. It is not mummy's cooking, but those who cook it, have also been trained in the art of cooking. Half the joy of the life is discovering different foods from different states, cultures, countries.

Best wishes to her and you :)

Mamta

Divya, on 13/7/2018 09:53pm

Hi ,

Can anyone suggest , if I am storing cooked parathas in freezer, do I need to add something while preparing dough? Can we use milk to knead the dough for storing cooked chapatis?

Mamta, on 15/7/2018 11:58am

You can use milk in dough for roties/parathas, but you don't need it. I don't add milk and I freeze them all the time, roties, plain parathas, as well as stuffed parathas. The only thing I do do is that I spread them out on a kitchen towel to let them cool completely. Then I stack them up and wrap them in a double layer of aluminium foil and then freeze them.

Another thing I often do is that I make stacks of how many the two of use can eat in one sitting and then freeze them. this way, I just pull one stack out and defrost, as needed.

Same goes for chapatties. I seldom make them for freezer specially, but freeze leftovers often.

Varsha Mehta, on 9/3/2022 12:03pm

Hi! You can store semi-cooked Chapatis for up to 7 days in the refrigerator. It stays fine due to the right moisture content and packaging. There are many brands that offer semi-cooked Chapatis with a shelf life of up to 6 days such as FRESH NEEDS or ID Fresh.

Page: 1 2

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com