Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - Indian Woks?

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1

Hiyas,

I bought a small wok type pan in an Indian grocer, no larger than a big soup ladle, with a copper bottom and (I think) stainless steel inside -- not sure on this one!

I've been using this to gently fry an onion in ghee to put over my dals, but, I very much like the shape (you can fry to great effect with a smaller amount of fat and much less heat) and so, I'd be tempted to try other foods.

What is the traditionally intended use for this pot, and does it have a name?

thanks,

Cinnamon

Ps.: the wok cost 1.50 UKP, so, it also is a bargain :>

Kavita, on 1/9/2005 06:45pm

Cinammon (nice nickname), just to let you know that mum is not online at the moment - she's travelling - so please don't think she's ignoring you if it's sometime before you get a response.

In the meantime, other readers may have some answers for you.

Mamta, on 4/9/2005 05:21pm

Hi Cinnamon

This small wok/kadhai/karahi/ladle that you have bought, is used to 'temper' various dals and things and to fry onions/spices etc., as you said. Indian kadhai is generally used to stir-fry things or to cook vegetables or to deep-fry things in oil. It is a good utensil to have in your kitchen. It is better to buy the ones that have a flat bottom, because they sit better on a hob. If you have a good wok, that will do the job equally well.

Mamta

kennyliza, on 21/11/2005 06:47pm

If it's a nice looking pot, you could use it only for serving up dishes at the table, like dhals and curries

Rehana, on 26/7/2006 12:34pm

Many restaurants use these as serving bowls, but they can be used for Tarka.

Rehana

Catherine, on 11/8/2006 09:11am

I have been trying to buy several small woks to serve chinese food in - they look great and when in Thailand I was served my meal in a wok and it looked great. Does anyone know where to buy these and how much they are - I need 6 or 8. Thanks

Mamta, on 11/8/2006 05:52pm

Hello Catherine

Go to our Homepage. Scroll down to 'News: Win! In the Mamta’s Kitchen Competition!'.

Click on 'clik here'.

Then click on the website address of Spice shop given there.

On the right side of their homepage are listed their top 5 sellers. The last one, number 5, is Balti Dish Set. You can Order it there. You can contact them and ask if they will sell you less than a whole set.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Mamta

Kavey, on 12/8/2006 07:22pm

Quicker way to find the link is to go to the Advice menu at the top of the screen and choose Suppliers...

If they don't have quite what you're looking for, let them know - I know the owner is adding to range all the time.

Alternatively, if you prefer to shop in person you could search out a large Indian cash and carry or even a Chinese supermarket and see what they have in stock.

Good luck!

Page: 1

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com