Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - Using Fresh Basil

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1

What may appear to be an odd question, but when using fresh basil how should I pick it?

Do I pull the leaves off all in one place?

Should I pick the biggest leaves, or the leaves nearest the top or bottom?

Should I take a whole stem off regardless of leaf size ?

is there a certain place along the stem that you should or shouldn't pick at (as it may not grow back etc)

I'm just wondering which keeps the plant growing and living the best?

Steve

Mamta, on 13/8/2005 12:16pm

Hello Steven

This is rather a long reply to your query!

I pick leaves that are the largest. Or, I pinch the top cluster of leaves, above the next bud, so it grows again. I guess if you leave no leaf-bud on the stem, it will just shrivel up and die.

I grew some Basil in pot this spring and I have been picking leaves since last 3 months. It still keeps growing. I pick some most days, because I use them in my black tea all day, along with a sprinkle of ground cinnamon, which is good for lowering the blood sugar.

As my next pot is now ready, I have .cleaned. the old one, removing dead stems etc. and left it to grow again.

Here is some information on Basil from a section my sister has written under the title 'Healing Foods'. This will be put on site when Kavey and Pete get around to it one of these days.

"Basil, Hindi name Tulsi, Ocimum basilicum : Tulsi has been mentioned in Indian texts from as early as the Vedic period (4000-2000 BC) and is often worshiped as a plant representing Goddess Tulsi, probably because it has so many good properties. One of the Hindu Prayer rituals is that people .offer. it water each morning after prayers. The essential oil from Basil is antibacterial and kills insects, it is used as a nerve tonic and an antidote to depression. Its regular use is said to improve memory, purify the blood, reduce blood cholesterol, diminish kidney congestion, reduces renal calculi and regulates blood pressure. It is an anti-inflammatory, decongestant to the respiratory tract. It contains vitamin C, carotene, calcium and phosphorus. It is commonly used in tea in India, to cure symptoms of cold, sore throat and cough. As a herb, it is used all over the West and Mediterranean countries."

AskCy, on 13/8/2005 01:43pm

thanks for that.. it appears I need to up my basil ! Didn't realise it was used in Indian foods.. only ever hear about it in italian dishes..

well I never..

Steve

Diksha, on 8/3/2006 10:49am

I just saw this discussion while looking for something else on the internet.

Basil or Tulsi is grown in many traditional Hindu Indian homes. We worship it as a Goddess, .Tulsi Mata. or mother Goddess. Women pray to it every morning by offering water to it each morning. It is also called .Holy Basil. by some people. The variety that has dark purple leaves, is called Shayama tulsi and it is said to be better medicinally.

We mostly use it in India in making tea .Tulsi Chai., chew leaves as mouth freshener and add them to some salads. It is also an important ingredient of and Indian holy drink called Charanamrat. I think Mamta has a couple of recipes on site http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_display.php?id=10581

http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_display.php?id=10423

It.s oil is an insecticide and anti-bacterial. The leaves are chewed or put in tea to treat colds and sore throat and even indigestion. Tulsi oil is used as ear drops for earache. The seeds are said to cure urinary infection and even an aphrodisiac.

The dried leaves and stems are used as a flavouring of foods, but not as much as in Italian food. So you see, we Indians have many uses for it.

By the way, this is a nice site and I will be viting it again.

Diksha

AskCy, on 8/3/2006 03:32pm

Thanks for that Diksha very informative... :-)

JayTea, on 18/9/2006 05:31pm

Hello All

Great information about Basil. I grew it all summer from seed and I'm very happy with the results. I like making simple pesto, great with scrambled eggs.

Now, I have a question. Cleaning Basil. It's fall now and the plants are more suseptible to tiny little insects. The leaves are starting to shrivel and it's just not as healthy as it was. But still fragrent.

How would you suggest cleaning the basil. This summer is rinsed it off and put it in my spinner to get off excess water. Would you recommend soaking it?

thanks, JayTea

Mamta, on 19/9/2006 01:10pm

Hello Jaytea

I soak basil, any any other herb, if it has any tiny insects and leave it for a while. I woud rather have it slightly wilted/bruised than full of insects. Let's see what otheres do!

My mum says adding salt to the water gets them all out quicker, specially from things like cabbage.

Phil, on 19/9/2006 10:46pm

Like Stephen, I hadn't associated basil with Indian food. We use it in Italian and in Thai food.

How I pick the leaves depends on the kind of basil. For basil with big leaves, I pick off the bigger leaves, but there's a kind of basil where ALL of the leaves are tiny, so with that, I pick off whole branches.

I've never tried to grow it, but given my luck with attempting to grow coriander, I'm not optimistic.

Phil

Page: 1

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com