Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - pickled jalapeno peppers

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1

Hi mamta.

I'm a big fan of jalapeno peppers but i bought a jar of pickled jalapenos and it said i must use within 14 days. So now i have to throw them out cos i still have most of the jar left. I just wanted to know if next time i can freeze pickled jalapenos so that i dont have to keep using the whole jar in 2 weeks or wasting it. And what is the best way of doing this. Thanks

Mamta, on 30/7/2010 12:04pm

Well Simme, I keep my jar, once opened, in the frigde. that way it lasts for quite a long time. I have never frozen them, but perhaps someone else here will know.

Mamta

Winton, on 30/7/2010 12:08pm

That is just put on the jar to err on the side caution. If you had pickled your own jalapenos you would still be using them months afterwards without batting an eyelid, and the commercial ones should be professionally pickled in sterile conditions!

Yes keep them in the 'fridge after opening but don't throw them away unless you have some particular medical condition.

Winton

Askcy, on 30/7/2010 12:47pm

That seems like a very short shelf life for "pickles" ! Is that once opened use with 14 days ? The idea of pickling is to make them last a long period of time. I rarely pay any attention to those numbers as they are being super safe and increasing their profits (throw them away and buy more, then throw those away then buy more...etc)

Steve

simi, on 30/7/2010 12:59pm

Hmm. I think they are still ok so ill use them and see. Thanks evryone.

Andrew, on 30/7/2010 03:11pm

Are you talking about the Old El Paso jalapenos? If so then I have noticed that once they are opened the peppers tend to turn quite mushy after a few weeks. I don't know why that is but it has happened to me a few times in the past.

I pickled my own jalapenos last year and I still have two jars of them left. I don't eat them that often but they are still fine and probably will be for many more years to come.

David Reynolds, on 17/11/2023 05:16am

If you'll buy trappys sliced jalapenos you'll find they don't get mushy. Months later in the fridge and still crisp as the day you opened the jar. Honestly in a pinch vlassic are not bad. They are firm but not the flavor of trappys. Mezzetta are good crisp and tasty but it is a very different flavor than trappys. I refer to trappys hot sliced. I can sit down and eat a jar of mezzetta tamed jalapenos by the time I get home from the store. I honestly can say the sweet and hot trappys in my opinion suck. And don't know if their other versions. I can say I've been eating the above mentioned peppers for nearly 55 years. It's not uncommon for me to go thru 4 lbs of them in less than 2 months. The flavor is unlike any other brand. And they are consistent. If you want to have a better chance of having crisp pickled jalapenos read the ingredients. Calcium chloride is a firmer or stiffener used to keep veggies crisp and fresh when pickled. I hope this helps

Page: 1

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com