Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - What is the purpose of frying dhal?

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1

Hi, I have got an Indian cookbook and three of the recipes say to fry 1 tsp of dry channa (and other) dhals prior to frying the spices. I was wondering what the purpose of this is or is it a printing error? Many thanks.

AskCy, on 24/12/2006 08:40pm

I'm guessing it adds to the flavour... I was simply cooking onions following one of Mamta's recipes and added (as instructed) some Methi seeds (fenugreek seeds)... It was incredible how much of a change it made to the overall smell coming from the onions...

Mamta, on 27/12/2006 04:25pm

Hello Simon

AskCy Steven is right, it is to give alternative flavour to a dish. There is no printing error.

You will find that North Indians usually add cumin/fenugreek/black mustard/fennel/nigella and a few other seeds to different dishes, either at the start, during 'tempering' or 'tarka', or at the end, as in dal.

South Indians, many Gujrati people will traditionally temper their dishes, mostly vegetables, raitas etc., with mustard seeds plus a teaspoon of urad and a chana dal each. Now a day, people all over India, including me, try these different, regional 'tarkas', often including curry leaves. Try it, it is different, but very nice.

Mamta

Nitin, on 29/12/2006 06:57am

Hello

You can also fry the entire dal, not just the one for tarka, before cooking it. This is specially good if you are cooking skinless moong dal or skinless urid dal.

Nitin

Nitin, on 1/1/2007 12:49pm

If you look South Indian, vegetarian recipes, many of them add chana and urad dals to their tarka. You only need 1 tsp. of each.

Nitin

krithika, on 5/1/2007 04:36pm

Its used as a seasoning and enhances the flavour of vegetables and mixed Rice Varieties.We use it a lot more in the South.

Frying a tsp of urad dhal and a pinch of asafoetida in the oil before adding boied and peeled potatoes/cabbage/beans makes the vegetable very tasty.

Similarly frying 1tbsp of channa and urad dhal while making lemon rice is also good.You may even add groundnuts to the oil.

Page: 1

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com